What Is Remarketing & How You Can Use It

Although there are many online marketing strategies that have proven effective for businesses, remarketing has recently gained precedence as an effective marketing tool. Although defined and actualized broadly, remarketing is essentially the practice of reintroducing a product or service to potential customers who declined a purchase offer. (Remarketing can also go by the term “retargeting.”) By making the most of remarketing opportunities, businesses can increase their revenue and potentially acquire loyal customers.

E-mail Remarketing

As many online marketing and social media experts know, remarketing can have many forms. In the world of e-mail marketing, remarketing refers to the strategies and techniques a business employs to target people who visited their website yet did not make a purchase. One form of such remarketing would be an automated email system designed to bring a potential customer who didn’t make a purchase back to the website where they may eventually buy something. In addition to being termed remarketing, these types of strategies are often called “cart abandonment email marketing or “conversion marketing.”

Google Remarketing

As mentioned earlier, remarketing can have many forms. In the world of Google remarketing, for example, there are a plethora of tools used to generate revenue. First, there are “remarketing tags.” These tags are basically remarketing codes that appear at the bottom of each website page. Their essential purpose is to keep track of those who visited your website. Second, there is Adwords Marketing, which is a tool in which Google permits businesses to place viewer-specific ads before people on the company’s remarketing list. For example, if an individual visited the page of a company’s website advertising footballs, you can remarket to them with ads of footballs on other websites they visit. Another tool is geo-targeting. With this mechanism, a business can customize its remarketing plan around a specific geographic location in a way that encourages people from that region to make purchases. Finally, Google makes the remarketing process more effective through placing primacy on the format of the ads that a viewer is exposed to upon leaving your site. Here, the strategy is to make the ad format graphic rich, which enables a potential customer to recognize a company or its product through the ad.

Other Forms of Remarketing

In learning about how remarketing can be used to help businesses, it is important to note that the assistance does not always pertain directly to making a sale. In some cases, for example, a business may want people to visit its website in order to sign up for an email newsletter. If 3% of your conversion goal signs up, this means that the other 97% did not. In such cases, a company can and should implement a remarketing campaign that targets the 97% who visited the page advertising the opportunity to sign up for the newsletter.

Conclusion

Although the world of remarketing may seem complex, one can become an expert in this form of remarketing by slowly learning about all of its different facets. Additionally, a company can pay a business that specializes in remarketing to develop and implement a plan that will engender the financial or social success the company wants.

Jared is a team member at Search Factory, an online marketing agency based in Brisbane, Australia. He has been researching various forms of remarketing for a project of his own and wanted to share his findings.

, , , , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply